Alro stocks DC-53 - a general purpose, cold work die and mold steel whose strength and
toughness approach those of high-speed steels. DC53, is an improvement over alloy tool steel D-2. It eliminates the disadvantages of insufficient hardness and toughness, resulting from high-temperature tempering found with D-2, and is intended to replace D-2 in use for general purpose and precision dies.
- Higher hardness (62-64 HRc) than D2 after heat treatment.
- Twice the toughness of D2 with superior wear resistance.
- Substantially higher fatigue strength compared to D2.
- Smaller primary carbides than D2 protect the die from chipping and cracking.
- Machines and grinds up to 40% faster than D2.
- Less residual stress after wire EDM.