Flat Expanded Metal
About Flattened Metal
Flattened expanded metal is manufactured by passing the standard expanded sheet through a cold roll reducing mill. Flattened expanded metal turns the strands and bonds down to provide a flattened surface, reducing the thickness (gauge) and elongating the pattern. Thickness may vary plus or minus 10% from published dimensions.
About Metal Grating
Grating is a standard expanded metal pattern produced from heavier gauge low carbon steel plates. Strands and the openings of grating are considerably larger than other meshes. It is ideal for use wherever a strong, durable, lightweight surface is needed. Although used primarily for pedestrian traffic, grating can accommodate heavier loads if properly supported.
- DESIGN SIZE - Actual dimensions SWD and LWD. Measured from a point to a corresponding point.
- SWD - Nominal dimension Short Way of Design
- SWO - Short Way of Opening
- LWD - Nominal dimension Long Way of Design
- LWO - Long Way of Opening
- STRANDS - The sides of the expanded metal design
- STRAND - THICKNESS Gauge thickness of metal expanded
- STRAND WIDTH - Amount of metal fed under dies to produce one strand
- BOND - The solid intersection of two strands.
How To Order Expanded Metals
Alro stocks flat expanded metal grate in a variety of gauges. Grating orders can be cut to your specifications so they are ready for installation when they arrive at your facility. When placing your order for Expanded Metals be certain to give complete style specifications to avoid possible error.
Include style, standard or flattened, type of metal, and sheet dimensions. SWD dimensions always given before LWD.
Expanded Metal is one of our most versatile product lines and our most economical products as well. The pattern allows for the free flow of air and light. Applications for Expanded Metal are as endless as the benefits gained. Just a few applications for flat expanded metal include:
- Air and fluid filters
- Ventilation systems
- Speaker grills
- Stair treads
- Protective guards on machines
- Decorative Ornamental
- Shelving in greenhouses
- Outdoor furniture
- Security walls
- Shelving and racks