Size and Availability:
Sheet / Slab stock
- Thickness: 1/16"thk to 2"thk
- Sheet Sizes: 24" x 48" and 24" x 144"
Rod / Round stock
- Diameters: 1/16"dia to 6"dia
- Rod Lengths: 4 foot and 8 foot long
Hexagonal Rod stock
- Hex Sizes: 3/16" to 1" (size across flats)
- Hex Length: 8 foot long
|Nylon is one of the most widely used and versatile thermoplastic resins. Its combination of physical properties and reasonable price make it
a favorite choice for numerous applications. Nylons toughness, wear resistance, tensile strength and lubricity make it a good choice for many
mechanical machine parts.
Extruded nylon type 6/6 is characterized as having an excellent combination of physical properties including: a high melting point, resistant to
repeated impact, low coefficient of friction and a resistance to abrasion. It has good resistance to fuels, lubricants and most chemicals, but is
attacked by phenols, strong acids and oxidizing agents.
Of all the unmodified nylons, Nylon 101 is the strongest, most rigid and has one of the highest melting points. It is commonly specified for screw
machined electrical insulators and food contact parts. It is stocked in both natural and black. Other colors are available on a custom basis. Nylon
101 natural is FDA, USDA, NSF, and 3A-Dairy compliant.
See also Nylon101 (click here)
See also Nylon MD (click here)
See also Nylon Family page (click here)
- Broadest size range availability
- Good mechanical and electrical properties
- Ideal balance of strength and toughness
- Many grade options: FDA compliant, internally lubricated, and heat stabilized
- Bushings and bearings
- Gears and sprockets
- Wear rails, pads and strips
- Pulleys and sheaves
- Conveyor wheels and rollers
- Feed screws
- Star wheels
Nylons can absorb up to 7% (by weight) water under high humidity or submerged in water. This can result in dimensional changes up to 2%
and a corresponding reduction of physical properties. Proper design techniques can frequently compensate for this factor.